Indigofera Tinctoria: the SCCS' Opinion
Add to my portfolio
pro subscription only feature
see our subscription plans
The SCCS has just published its Opinion on the safety of the hair dye ingredient Indigofera Tinctoria. It was adopted on 10 January 2020 by written procedure, and is open for comments until 13 March 2020.
Submission III on the hair dye Indigofera Tinctoria (C170) was transmitted by Cosmetics Europe in November 2017.
According to the applicant the current submission supports the safe use of Indigofera Tinctoria in non-oxidative conditions hair colouring products at on-head concentrations of up to 25%.
For an exhaustive background information, see the articles
• SCCS : 8 new Opinions open for comments, CosmeticOBS, 26 September 2012
• Salicylic acid, Hair dyes: four requests for Opinion to SCCS, CosmeticOBS, 2 January 2018
1. In light of the data provided, does the SCCS consider Indigofera Tinctoria (C170) safe when used in non-oxidative conditions hair colouring products at on-head concentrations of up to 25%?
In light of the data provided, the SCCS considers that Indigofera Tinctoria is safe when used in non-oxidative condition hair colouring products as on-head concentrations of up to 25%.
2. Does the SCCS have any further scientific concerns with regard to the use of Indigofera Tinctoria (C170) in cosmetic products?
A weak skin sensitisation potential cannot be excluded for Indigofera Tinctoria.
• SCCS (Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety), Opinion on hair dye 1 Indigofera Tinctoria (C170) - Submission III, SCCS/1615/20, preliminary version of 10 January 2020