Proposal for CMR2 classification for neem seed extracts
Add to my portfolio
pro subscription only feature
see our subscription plans
On 25 November 2019, ECHA (European Chemicals Agency) opened a public consultation on the German proposal for a harmonised classification of some margosa or neem seed extracts (Azadirachta indica) as Reprotoxic category 2 and Skin sensitizer category 1. The consultation is open until 24 January 2020.
This classification proposal comes from the German BAuA (Federal Institute for Occupational Safety and Health).
It covers the Margosa extracts from the kernels of Azadirachta indica extracted with water and further processed with organic solvents (CAS: 84696-25-3 - CE: 283-644-7).
It proposes their introduction in Annex VI of the CLP Regulation (on classification, labelling and packaging of substances and mixtures) as:
• Repr. 2 (Hazard statementr H361d: Suspected of damaging the unborn child)
• Skin Sens. 1 (Hazard statement H317: May cause an allergic skin reaction)
• Aquatic Chronic 1 (Hazard statement H410: Very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effect) - M-Factor: 10
Neem seed extract (Azadirachta Indica Seed Extract) is listed in the European Glossary of Cosmetic Ingredients and in the CosIng with the function “skin care”. If the classification process is completed, and the substance is indeed classified as Reprotoxic category 2, or CMR 2, it could eventually be banned from use in cosmetic products.
• CLP, Classification et étiquetage harmonisés, Consultation, Margosa, ext. (from the kernels of Azadirachta indica extracted with water and further processed with organic solvents), ECHA, 25 November 2019
• CLH report - Proposal for Harmonised Classification and Labelling, Substance Name: Margosa, ext. (from the kernels of Azadirachta indica extracted with water and further ...