More and more cosmetic products and ingredients claim to respect or rebalance the microbiome. Claims that are not always easy to prove… Lipoid Kosmetik has chosen the validation of MyMicrobiome Standard 18.10 to have three of its active ingredients (Yogurtolin, Cranberry Pro and usNeo) recognised as “microbiome-friendly”.
MyMicrobiome claims to be the world’s first and only standard for certifying microbiome-friendly products, based on the scientific examination of their influence on all aspects of the microbiome (balance, diversity, behaviour, etc.).
Several standards, presented on the MyMicrobiome.info Internet platform, have been developed according to the parts of the body where the products are to be applied:
• MyMicrobiome Standard 18.10: face and body skin
• MyMicrobiome Standard 19.10: scalp
• MyMicrobiome Standard 20.10: infant skin
• MyMicrobiome Standard 21.10: private parts
• MyMicrobiome Standard 22.10: feet
• MyMicrobiome Standard 23.10: oral environment
Three of the active ingredients from supplier Lipoid Kosmetik have been recognised as “microbiome-friendly” according to the MyMicrobiome Standard 18.10, and can now carry this new label.
Yogurtolin is a spray-dried yoghurt concentrate, derived from fermented Swiss milk, without additives or preservatives.
Designed for the care of sensitive skin, it restores and stabilises a disturbed skin microbiome and thus helps to strengthen the skin’s barrier, making it more resistant to external aggressions and reducing the symptoms of sensitive skin. In doing so, it noticeably improves the parameters associated with irritated and sensitive skin.
It is 100% natural, COSMOS approved and listed in China.
• INCI: Yogurt Powder
More information on Yogurtolin in the article
• Lipoid Kosmetik revisite le yaourt pour les peaux sensibles, CosmeticOBS, 11 January 2021
Cranberry Pro is an aqueous-glycerine extract of the organic cranberry fruit. It targets skin biofilms, the complex habitats of micro-organisms on the skin, to “control” them by acting on three dimensions:
• Cranberry metabolites reduce the adhesion of certain bacteria,
• Its type A procyanidins oppose the formation and maturation of bacterial biofilms,
• Ots metabolites accelerate the dissolution of bacterial biofilms.
It has no biocidal activity and is recommended for use in cleansers for problem or acne-prone skin, deodorants or intimate care products at a dosage of 0.5-5%, is COSMOS compliant and meets Halal and Vegan product requirements, contains no labelable allergens and is accepted in China.
• INCI: Aqua (Water), Glycerin, Vaccinium Macrocarpon (Cranberry) Fruit Extract, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Hydroxide
usNeo is an antibacterial active ingredient derived from the alpine lichen Usnea barbata. Effective against gram-positive bacteria (the cause of acne and body odour), usNeo has the advantage of preserving the natural skin flora. The active molecule in usNeo, usnic acid, also effectively treats the microbial cause of dandruff.
usNeo can be used in a wide range of cosmetic applications, from 1 to 2%: deodorants, soaps, problem and acne-prone skin care, anti-dandruff shampoos and hair care.
Free of preservatives and labelled allergens, it is pH neutral and accepted in China.
• INCI: Propanediol, Usnea Barbata (Lichen) Extract, Tromethamine, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, Aqua (Water), Sodium Hydroxide