Every week, dedicated European portals (Safety Gate for the European Union, Safety Database for the United Kingdom) list the non-compliant and/or dangerous products detected on the market by the control authorities. Here are the cosmetic products that are subject to a recall or a marketing ban this week: baby wipes and an eye-liner contaminated with bacteria.
Name: Becutan Baby Wipes With Chamomille
Batch number: 130720212/098
• Country of origin: North Macedonia
• Notifying country: Croatia
Risk type: microbiological
The product is microbiologically contaminated with mesophilic aerobic bacteria and yeast (measured values 820 cfu/g for mesophilic aerobic bacteria and 700 cfu/g for yeasts and molds). If used on damaged skin, or if it comes into contact with the eyes, the product may cause infection or irritation.
The product does not comply with the Cosmetic Products Regulation and with the standard EN ISO 17516.
Measures ordered by public authorities (to importer): import rejected at border.
Name: Right Now Brow Thickening Brow Gel
Type: Light 01, Medium 02, Dark 03, Super Dark 04
• Country of origin: Poland
• Notifying country: Ireland
Risk type: health
The product contains an excessive level of aerobic mesophilic bacteria (measured value: 30000 cfu/g) . If used on damaged skin, or if it comes into contact with the eyes, the product may cause infection or irritation. The product does not comply with the Cosmetic Products Regulation.
Corrective measure: recall of the product from end users.
• Safety Gate: the EU rapid alert system for dangerous non-food products, Report 2022-01, European Commission, January 7, 2022
• Product Safety Database – Unsafe Product Report, Office for Product Safety & Standards, 07 janvier 2022