Cosmetovigilance is a system to monitor and record adverse effects due to the use of cosmetics, listing them and giving information to prevent further occurrences.
Established in France in 2004 by
, this system comprises:
• A report and record of all undesirable effects
• Recording, evaluating and using information on these effects in order to prevent them
• Completion of all studies on the safe use of cosmetic products
• Implementation and monitoring of corrective actions, if needed
M.Ds, pharmacists, dentists, nurses …: all health professionals shall report on the spot to Afssaps Managing Director undesirable reactions they detect on their patients.
Every consumer may also report, directly to Afssaps , any undesirable effect , if he or she is the victim, with a claim form available on the Agency website.
Cosmetovigilance is a system first developed and implemented in France; similar networks are currently put in service in some other European countries, especially Sweden, Norway and Germany. Today, the network covers the entire European Union, thanks to the requirements of the Cosmetics Regulation, mandatory since 11 July 2013.
For further information
• Section Cosmetovigilance on the website of Afssaps (in French)